We discovered Bridal Veil Falls on our trip to Raglan and they are well worth venturing off the main road for…
- The Raglan Bridal Veil Falls share their name with the the smallest of the Niagara Falls
- The falls drop 55 metres (same as the before mentioned falls)
- The pool at the bottom is 5 metres deep (but don’t try jumping – there is a big boulder in the middle of it)
- There are 260 steps to Bridal Veil Falls
- 260 steps feels like a lot less on the way down than it does on the way back up
- Helpfully (or not) you will find a sign when you are halfway down (or up as the case may be) that you still have 130 leg aching steps to go.
So complaining about sore legs aside, the 260 steps are indeed worth it to see these great falls. Unlike many falls around New Zealand these ones are relatively easy to get to (although for obvious reasons 260 stairs are not going to favour those in wheelchairs or pushchairs).
I had a bit of fun processing these (although my waterfall photography skills are somewhat lacking) and I did think ahead to bring my tripod and filter to block out a bit of the light and slow down the water droplets a bit. There is quite a bit of spray from the waterfall so if you are bringing your best camera (like me) you probably won’t want to have it out for too long as camera’s don’t really like showers…
Highlight for us – definitely the two goats lazing away under the falls.
You can find more information about the falls here….