The Getting Lost Game is designed to inspire adventures and get people out of what they know and explore that untravelled path. It’s purposefully offline and deliberately like those games we played in those endless Summers of our childhood in the back of Dad’s car.
Designed by me (Cat) and James, each kit contains 26 “misdirection cards” which give you random directions to discover new places where ever you are in the country (or anywhere else for that matter). The directions work anywhere – things like turn left, follow a blue car or head in the direction the wind is blowing – and guarantee a different game every time, even if you set out from the same spot. It’s the antidote to lives that have become increasingly curated by search engines and social media guiding us where to go.
And if 26 misdirection cards aren’t enough for you we have our add on packs. The Booster Pack for walkers and those wanting a longer game. The Summer Pack for good old fashioned Summer fun like dive bombing, making daisy chains and rolling down hills. The Out of Town Pack designed specifically for out of town adventures and our first game crowd sourced by players of the game. The Creator Pack – 10 blank cards to create your own misdirections. And of course our bilingual Te Reo Edition so you can learn te reo Maori while exploring New Zealand.
When we designed the Getting Lost Game we had 7 rules –
- It had to be offline so you could play it anywhere and be unconnected for a while
- It had to be portable
- It had to be able to be used anywhere in NZ (or the world for that matter)
- It had to be fun for kids and adults alike
- It had to be truly random so you could play it over and over again
- It couldn’t be hamstrung by rules
- And above all else, it had to create epic adventures
We reckon we’ve nailed it. But we’re not stopping there. The Getting Lost Game is made and continues to be re-imagined by players of the game, readers of our blog and followers over on our Facebook Page. If you have a great idea or suggestion get in touch with us at firstname.lastname@example.org – we’d love to hear from you!
Your Adventurers Edition comes in a little suitcase, designed and made here in NZ with a biodegradable plant based plastic. You can choose to upgrade to a mini compass too.
You can find out about how we designed the game here, ideas on how to play the game here. Or you can listen to an interview with Cat over here about how to play and the idea behind the game. Or have a look at how Josh from The Project got lost using the Getting Lost Game.
There are no rules to the game and the ways you can play it are endless and entirely adaptable to the person playing the game.
Here’s some ideas we’ve had though…For quick play, pick a new direction card at each intersection
- For a game that lasts a couple of hours pick a new card every 5 minutes
- Want to keep it simple? Just keep in the direction cards (left, right, north, south etc) and take out the trickier ones
- Looking for a weekend get away? Play the game until you get the “head for home” card and then find a hotel or campground in what ever town you are in when you get the card
- Don’t want to stop for treats? Take the treat and drink card out before you start playing
- Want to be totally unplugged? There is only one card that requires the internet (Google the word lake) so just take that one out
- Send the kids off for a walk with the game to explore new places
- Arrive in a new city and set off walking with the cards – take a new direction at each intersection
- Want to surprise someone? Add in your own card in the middle (seriously – anyone looking for a proposal card please let us know – we’ve already made two!)
Still got questions? Check out our frequently answered questions here or send us an e-mail at email@example.com.